Green Fairy Goodness

Last night I was featured in a treasury that ended up on the front page of Etsy! I was wondering this morning why the blue flower garters were so popular and it took me a little while to figure it out. Thank you lillipopsdeigns for including me in this awesome treasury!

‘Absinthe Makes The Heart Grow Fonder’ by lillipopsdesigns


1920s Vintage Reproduction G…

$40

Acid Green Aurora Borealis T…

$26

Special Green Cloche

$370

Fleur necklace no. 02. green…

$28

Absinthe Minded, Vintage Gla…

$9.5

Absinthe Bath Salt – 3 oz sa…

$6

Buy One Get One Free – In He…

$18

L’Absinthe C’est La …

$38

SUMMER SALE Absinthe Art N…

$110

Handmade Vintage Dark Emeral…

$16

Vintage mother of pearl pewt…

$49.99

The Green Mill and Conversat…

$15

Wheaton NJ / Vintage Miniatu…

$11

Whisper dress by Stella Dott…

$340

Vintage Button MOP Green Cuf…

$99.99

Generated using Treasury HTML code generator by Whale Shark Websites.

New Garter Pictures!

The other day D and I did more lifestyle pictures of the garters and I’m pleased with how they turned out.

1920s flapper garters garter sets retro art deco

test caption

I think this picture turned out well considering I really didn’t have anything in my closet that I thought worked with the green and pink garters. This was the last picture we did and were trying to figure out other ways to show garters on a leg without it getting too…weird. Or creepy. Overall I think it’s more cutesy than I would have wanted to go, but I guess it can’t always be my aesthetic.

Black silk retro garters with red ribbon flowers and love knots.

This is the picture I’m thrilled with. Again, I couldn’t find any stockings or knee socks to match the dress and garters so I went without. I had some misgivings about photographing the garters on a bare leg, but I think it works here. I think it’s much more summery than the other pictures. In case anyone is wondering, that’s our bookcase I’m sitting on.

The other reason I love that picture, is that is looks like this movie poster for Rolled Stockings.

Lost film Rolled Stockings starring Louise Brooks.

Sadly, the original version of the film was destroyed/ lost and there are no copies.

For the peach garters I wanted an image that was a little more dressy than the others. I think the silver bead makes them feel more formal somehow. I’ve also noticed in these pictures that symmetry works well for displaying the garters.

1920s retro garters, peach with pink lining and black silk ribbonwork.

1920s vintage reproduction peach garters with hand pleated black embellishment and silver bead.

I liked this detail shot of the black ribbonwork so much more than the studio shot, that I replaced it on etsy. I didn’t do any shots of the bobby pins, that will have to wait until I can coerce a friend or hire a model.

Last Minute Changes

Throughout this entire process of starting my business, I was aware that I couldn’t afford to buy a bunch of materials I just liked and design from there. I couldn’t waste money on materials that I wouldn’t use, or figure out later that a particular design required more of something I didn’t have.

I had to figure out all six of my designs *before* I bought anything.

I had to calculate exactly how much ribbon I would need to make a certain number of garters and I couldn’t over buy. So when it came time to plan out all the designs, I used cheap ribbon I had in the studio to figure out shapes and ribbon color cards to imagine the colors.

Last week as I was finishing up the boxed sets to post to Etsy, I ended up redesigning the last garter set. It was kind of vague to begin with, I knew I wanted certain colors (teal, rust and grey) and I knew I wanted knotted loops.  I ‘sketched’ out how I thought it would look, two flowers surrounded by a circle of knotted loops:

bad picture, I know

My process has been like this, I know what colors I want to use and I have an idea about the shape. I’ll rearrange the elements until it feels right, and then figure out how to duplicate the process in the  most efficient way to create multiples.

But something about this one wasn’t coming together. I knew I wanted it to be more messy and organic as compared to the other two designs for the boxed sets. Something about it was feeling too chaotic though; the stamen, the loops- there was too much going on. I didn’t love it, so I reworked it. I knew I had to use the same materials because there wasn’t time or money to start over on this one.

I realized how much I liked the rust colored silk ribbon and decided to make it the dominant color. I got rid of the stamen and used cleaner looking black knotted centers instead.

I made the grey knotted silk ribbon off to one side and used just a small amount of the teal ribbon as a transition. Now I love it!